The unique Library complex reflects the history of the area in its two historic buildings.
The original library building, was built by John Lounsbery around 1798 and was purchased from the Lounsbery family by Cornelius Hasbrouck in 1859. The building passed in turn to his brother, Garret Decker Hasbrouck, in 1861 who lived here with his wife, Julia Lawrence Hasbrouck. It was the childhood home of their daughter, Julia Hasbrouck Dwight, who presented it to the community in 1909 to be used as a library in memory of her parents. Two original fireplaces as well as hardware and woodwork date to the house's construction. A large entrance hall with the typical two-section Dutch door and a banistered stairway rising to a turn at the halfway landing highlights the unusual floor plan.
The main entrance today is through a wood and glass addition that joins the original building to the Wood-Elmendorf House which the Library bought in 1978. This house was built in the early 1800’s with Dr. Isaac S. Hasbrouck as the earliest confirmed resident. A porch and Victorian dormer as well as interior trim and woodwork were added to the house apparently sometime after a court-ordered sale in 1868 when the property was described as “...fences very much out of repair and the buildings old." Fillmore and Mary Wood bought the house in 1890 and it remained in the family until the deaths of the two Wood daughters, Jennie Sutton and Grace Elmendorf.
When Stone Ridge was Lang Syne
The following is from the 1933-34 Ulster County Historical Society Booklet
When Stone Ridge was Lang Syne
By Mrs. William F. Hasbrouck
Above the window in the post office at Stone Ridge is a letter which reads as follows:
Washington, 27 March 1832
I have changed the name of your Post Office on the books of this department from "Lang Syne" to Stone Ridge, County of Ulster, State of New York. You may give publicity to this change in any way you may deem proper provided it creates no expense to this department,
I am, sir, respectfully,
Your obedient servant,
W. T. Berry
John Lounsbery, Esq.
I have never seen any mention of the "Lang Syne" in any records of our village, so you may take it for what it is worth.
Stone Ridge is not without its quota of celebrities who have tarried a while there. We have the beautiful old stone house belonging now to William Lounsbery where Washington stopped during the Revolution, the home then of a member of his staff, Col. Cornelius Wynkoop, while the rest of his staff lodged across the road at Sally Tock's Inn, the home now of Mrs E. C. Chadbourne.
Aaron Burr stopped at a blacksmith shop to have his horse re-shod and there he met the boy, John Vanderlyn, who sketched a picture of him on the door of the shop. Burr recognized his talents and later paid for his education, the beginning of a long friendship between the two.
Another time, later on, a youth while making a survey of the roads of Ulster County stopped under a tree, which is still standing, to eat his lunch. The tree was directly in front of the home of one James Cantine. Taking a motherly interest in the boy, Mrs Cantine said to her husband, "Take a cup of coffee out to him to make his lunch more palatable." Mr. Cantine returning, remarked to his wife, "Charlotte, that's a very promising young man and I prophesy he will go a long way in the world." And so he did, for he was none other than Jay Gould.
- Mrs. William F. Hasbrouck, 1933
Library Financial Statement
Stone Ridge Library Operating Account January 1 - September 30, 1935. more
The Library been awarded a 2012 Museum Conservation Treatment Grant from the Greater Hudson Heritage Network in the amount of $3750 for conservation treatment for one of our portraits by Francesco Anelli done around 1840. The paintings are of Julia Lawrence Hasbrouck and her husband Garret Decker Hasbrouck. The work will be done by Susan Blakney from Westlake Conservators, LTD. Stay tuned for details on which painting we will select for this segment of our conservation work and our hopes for continuing conservation for the pair of portraits, key components of the Library's local history collection.
The Stone Ridge Library
with thanks to Charles Cullen
Stone Ridge Library in 1912
1797 - DEED - Edward Lounsbery to John Lounsbery - building lot. (Edward is John's father) more
1798 - TAX LIST - John Lounsbery's house is listed as New, "Not all Finished." more
1798 - MORTGAGE - Cornelia Wynkoop and Abraham B. Bancker To John Lounsbery - for "All that Certain house and lot of land at Stony Ridge." more
1839 - WILL - John Lounsbery to his brothers, Ebenezer and Richard and his nephew John Lounsbery, Jr., son of Richard.
1840 - DEED - Ebenezer and Richard Lounsbery to John Lounsbery, Jr. more
1859 - DEED - John, Jr. & Sarah Lounsbery to John J. Dedrick.
1859 - DEED - John J. & Catherine M. Dedrick to Cornelius L. Hasbrouck.
1861 - DEED - Cornelius L. & Jane Ann Hasbrouck to Garret D. & Julia Hasbrouck. (Garret is Cornelius' younger brother.)
1888 - WILL - Garret D. Hasbrouck to Julia L. Dwight. (Julia is the daughter of Garret D. & Julia Hasbrouck.)
1909 - DEED - Julia L. Dwight to the Trustees of the Stone Ridge Library.
John Lounsbery - Blacksmith - purchased the building lot on November 14, 1797. Purchase price: 50 Pounds. John's Blacksmith Shop was located on the building lot between the current Enter and Exit signs.
Garret Decker Hasbrouck
Julia Lawrence Hasbrouck
Early Newspaper Notices
KINGSTON DAILY FREEMAN -
FEBRUARY 10, 1910
STONE RIDGE The people of Stone Ridge are enjoying the privileges of a new institution, the free public library, which has lately opened its doors. Its beautiful reading room is bright and attractive, well lighted with the latest improvements in electric lights. Its furniture, bookcases, library table and desk, and stove were donated by two members of the board of trustees, who were evidently unwilling that the library should have anything in its furnishing that were not of the best.
The library is located in the Hasbrouck memorial building which was donated by Mrs. Dwight of New York, to a board of trustees and their successors for the use of the village of Stone Ridge, in memory of her father and mother, Mr. And Mrs. G. D. Hasbrouck, whose home it was. The property is a valuable one, consisting of a roomy, substantial stone house with rooms for offices, games and a caretaker. The grounds afford space for the erection of a town hall and a recreation building when these can be erected.
At present the trustees are compelled to confine themselves to the reading room and library. This is open on Friday from 3:30 to 5 p.m.; on Saturday from 7:30 to 9 p.m., and on Sunday from 2 to 4 p.m. for reading only. This Sunday opening is an experiment in the hopes of continuing for those who desire it, a quiet Sunday reading room. The co-operation of all citizens is asked to this end.
Books may be drawn free, by anyone over 12 years old, who is a resident of school district No. 5, and by other responsible non-residents, by the payment of 5 cents per volume and a deposit of one dollar, to be returned when the card is given up. The citizens of school district No. 5 are also asked to become voluntary members of the association, by the payment of one dollar per annum, or $10 for a life membership, to be used in the maintenance of the library. Payments for membership should be made to Mrs. M. C. Van Winkle, or to the librarian in charge.
The trustees have already lost two valuable members - the late Francis H. Leggett, and the Rev. James Cantine, who has gone to his mission in Arabia. Mrs. Leggett and Mrs. Schoonmaker have been elected to fill these vacancies. The secretary of the board of trustees has won the heartiest thanks of all who are benefited by this library, not only by her liberal contributions to it, but by freely giving her time and personal attention to every detail in repairs, in refitting furnishing, purchase of books, etc.
KINGSTON DAILY FREEMAN -
OCTOBER 11, 1910
STONE RIDGE Many evidences of interest have recently been manifested in our public library opened here last January. Peculiarly fortunate in its friends, it has received as gifts from residents and summer visitors 200 books, nearly half the number of volumes now in the library. A recent acquisition is a set of Irving's works, which belonged to the library conducted by the Village Improvement Association a number of years ago. At the suggestion of the original donors, Miss A. E. Abell, Librarian of that association, has turned the volumes over to the present library. Lewis Porter has contributed arrow heads and other Indian relics from the collection of his grandfather, the late Lewis Hine, which are of special interest as they were found in this vicinity. The Honk Falls Power Company donates the electric light used in the library, an evidence of good will greatly appreciated by the trustees.
KINGSTON DAILY FREEMAN -
NOVEMBER 1, 1910
STONE RIDGE LIBRARY
Close of its First Year Proves Value of it.
It is just a year since Mrs. Dwight deeded her early home at Stone Ridge to the trustees of the Stone Ridge Library Association, giving likewise $100 for repairs. This amount with an additional $100 given by one of the trustees, was immediately expanded, making the house, one of the oldest in this vicinity, having been erected about 1760, into a most attractive and convenient library which was opened to the public January 15.
The first annual meeting of the Library Association was held October, 29 the report of the secretary and treasurer showing that considerable progress has been made during the year.
One hundred dollars was raised by contributions and membership fees which amount, duplicated by the State Education Department, has been expended in the purchase of 200 books, while 260 volumes have been contributed by individuals, making a total of 460 books upon the shelves.
A furnace is needed to make the building comfortable and a committee with power to act was appointed at the meeting to see what could be done in the matter.
The property, located near the center of the village ought to have a good sidewalk in front of it, and some of the public spirited citizens, realizing that the entire community would be benefited by such an improvement, are contributing towards a fund to enable the trustees to have it done as soon as possible. The Rev. Wilmer McNair, whose term of office as trustee had expired, was unanimously elected to succeed himself and was likewise unanimously elected president of the board of trustees. The outlook for the coming year is bright.
KINGSTON DAILY FREEMAN
STONE RIDGE 1910
The new library is now open to the public, and books will be given out on Friday afternoon and Saturday evening of every week (January 21st)
Mr Wynkoop, state inspector from Albany, visited our library last week and announced himself as well pleased with the building and the selection of books, of which there are over two hundred. (January 25th)
The Ladies' Aid Society of the Reformed Church will hold a rummage sale in the library building at Stone Ridge on Thursday, Friday and Saturday, May 12, 13 and 14. (May 5th)
Mrs. Leggett has loaned a piano with pianola attachment to the village library. She has also given books, magazines, a violin and a number of valuable curios, all of which are greatly appreciated. (May 5th)
A number of desirable articles have been received for the rummage sale to be held in the library building on Thursday, Friday and Saturday of this week. Ice cream will be served on Saturday afternoon and evening. (May 9th)
STONE RIDGE - There will be a delicatessen sale in the library building on Saturday afternoon and evening this week. Ice cream will be served in the evening. The proceeds will be used for the purchase of new books. (July 7, 1910)
STONE RIDGE, Oct. 10. - Many evidences of interest have recently been manifested in our public library opened here last January. Peculiarly fortunate in its friends, it has received as gifts from residents and summer visitors 200 books, nearly half the number of volumes now in the library. A recent acquisition is a set of Irving's works, which belonged to the library conducted by the Village Improvement Association a number of years age. At the suggestion of the original donors, Miss A. E. Abeel, librarian of that association, has turned the volumes over to the present library. Lewis Porter has contributed arrow heads and other Indian relics from the collection of his grandfather, the late Lewis Hine, which are of special interest as they were found in this vicinity. The Honk Falls Power Company donates the electric light used in the library, an evidence of good will greatly appreciated by the trustees. (October 10, 1910)
NEW PALTZ INDEPENDENT
STONE RIDGE 1912
"The Stone Ridge library occupies a large and charming room in what is known as the Hasbrouck Memorial Building and is in itself a memorial given to the village of Stone Ridge by a former resident of the place as a memorial to her particular branch of the Hasbrouck family. The library contains a fine collection of the best standard fiction as well as the very latest fiction of the best sort; many reference books of value; an exceptional aggregation of high class periodicals and a carefully kept bulletin."
KINGSTON DAILY FREEMAN
STONE RIDGE March 11, 1941
The Following Books Have Been Added To The Stone Ridge Library
ADULT FICTION BOOKS:
"The Red Planet," William J. Lock
"Harvest Comedy" Frank Swinnerton
"Passport for a Girl" Mary Borden
"Lovers" Gina Kaus
"Swim Deep" C. B. Kelland
"The Midas Touch" Margaret Kennedy
"After Many a Summer Dies the Swan" A. Huxley
"Claude" Genevieve Fauconnier
"Leap Before Your Look" Alec Waugh
"Ten Volumes of the Works of Edgar Allen Poe"
"How to Lose Friends and Alienate People" Irving Pressler
"European Jungle" Yeats-Brown
"Roumania Journey" Sach Sitwell
"Story of Architecture" Thomas E. Tallmadge
"Story of Opal" Opal Whiteley
YOUNG ADULT BOOKS
"Winds in the West" Josephine Laurence
"Times of the Pantramar" L. A. Cunningham
"American Boy Sea Stories" Griffith Ellis
"Tommy Trots' Visit to Santa Claus" Thomas N. Page
"Hoosier School Boy" Edward Eggleston
Have You Heard?
The Rondout Valley Sound and Story Project
How did Accord receive its name? According to Jenny Osterhout, the story goes Accord came about through disaccord.
Fiddling With Wolves
When Percy Green was a little boy his mother showed him a rock on long Rouge Harbor Road and told him this tale. Legend has it that a fiddler kept a a pack of wolves at bay by playing some tunes standing on that very rock.
Treasure in the Shawangunks?
One man swears he was blind folded and led into a cave in the mountains by local Indians where a room full of treasure was revealed to him. Recounted by Percy Green.
Upstairs at Mohonk
The Mohonk House has been a renowned vacation spot for over a century. For those able to visit, what did a weekend at the Mohonk House entail around a hundred years ago? Find out from Marjorie Cross, recorded in 1982.
Rumrunners, Backyard Breweries and Pumpkin Wine
Alfred Terwilliger (known as Twiggy) boasts he can make alcohol out of most anything you can squeeze juice out of. In fact, A.T. and other locals brewed their own alcohol - from wine to whiskey - during the years of Prohibition, 1919-1933. Twiggy's homebrewed recipes were recorded in 1982.
Never heard of this lost tradition? Listen to Carrie Barnhart unearth a community practice newlyweds underwent upon returning from their honeymoon.
Bodies On Ice
Jenny Osterhout’s mother never forgot the sound of water dripping as the ice that preserved her mother’s body melted.
with thanks to Elsie Weglarz
The Stone Ridge Library was chartered on June 17, 1909, as a free public library by the Regents of the University of the State of New York. The founding Board of Trustees were Matilda VanWinkle, Wilmer MacNair, James Cantine, Charles Hardenbergh, John H. Palen, Della Clark, and Francis Leggett. As an association the library was governed by a board of 12 trustees with three trustees elected to four year terms at the Association's annual meeting held each year in October. In 2000 acting under authorization from the New York Legislature and Governor, the voters of the Town of Marbletown created the Stone Ridge Library District which replaced the association. Today an elected board of nine is responsible for the Library’s operation.
Mrs. Edward Van Winkle (Matilda Cantine) was the first librarian and a member of the governing Board of Trustees from the Library's incorporation in 1909 until 1934. Stone Ridge librarians through the years included:
Mrs. Edward Van Winkle (Matilda Cantine) 1909 - 1934
Susan Hasbrouck, 1934-1940
Fred Wicklow, 1940-1943
Anna Budenback, 1943-1950
Myrtle Strong, 1950-1951
Mary Davenport, 1951-1964
Marjorie Hasbrouck, 1964 to 1990
Lois Holly from 1990 to 1993
Jody Ford from 1993 to the present.
The dedication and enthusiasm Mrs. VanWinkle brought to her position as librarian provided the impetus to make the Library the vital force in the community which it has remained. She also established a tradition of warmth and friendliness that has made the Stone Ridge Library a true community center. And her successors have continued the standards she set for dedication, enthusiasm and service.
Strong community support is a tradition of this library and this is as evident in the twenty-first century as it was when the Mormel Club met at the library over 70 years ago to help their leader, Mrs. VanWinkle, with necessary tasks and to walk her home when the library closed for the day. For most of the members of this group of Campfire Girls their experience as teenagers led to a lifetime of interest and support for the Stone Ridge Library. Mormel Club members honored at an open house at the library in 1974 for their years of service included Ruth Roosa, Margaret Osterhoudt, Ruth Basten, Margaret Basten, Ida Ransom, Margaret Van Winkle and Amy Hardenbergh.
Financing for the library in its early years came from gifts, contributions, and volunteer fund raising and this support still makes up an important part of the annual budget. In 1938, the Library received its first grant for $100 from the Town of Marbletown. The Library received support from the towns of Marbletown and Rochester for many years as well as from Ulster County. The special library district created in 2000 now provides the Library with its core support. The major fund- raiser today is the annual Stone Ridge Library Fair, first held on the library grounds in 1948. Each June volunteers donate hundreds of hours to the popular event that draws attendance from all over Ulster County and beyond. Author! Author! held each December is also an important fundraising event including dinner, auction and a program written by local authors and writers.
Incorporated in 1909 to serve a community of 600 persons, the library now provides complete library services 47 hours weekly for the 5,000 residents of Town of Marbletown and to many residents of the neighboring Town of Rochester - an area with a total population of 7000.
1909 - 1912
A glance at the past, with thanks to Charles Cullen.
November 12, 1909 The sale of second hand clothing, etc., will commence next Wednesday in the library building.
November 20, 1909 The sale of second hand clothing that is being held in the library will close on Saturday evening. Warm winter garments may be bought there at a very low price.
July 11, 1910 The delicatessen sale held at the library on Saturday afternoon and evening was a success, netting the book fund about $30.
February 10, 1911 The stones for the new walk in front of the village library have been ordered of William Roosa and will be laid as soon as the weather will permit.
September 26, 1912 A Raffle sale will be held at the village library on Saturday afternoon and evening of this week, Sept. 28. Ice cream and home made candy will also be for sale.